I stumbled across elsewhere these fascinating mantras for a successful marriage. It was also mentioned that break up of wedlock is on the increase. The article I read also stated that these mantras, dictums, call it whatever are a nostrum. I got a jitter and looked back the past twenty and three years with C. Goodness me if we ( I and C ) do not ensure that we remember to zealously abide these mantras in daily life we might soon end up in the opposite sides of the world. It is a miraculous wonder how we in spite of not holding on to all these fourteen commandments managed without bruises so long.
Now let me share these panaceas with all devout husbands and wives. Lest you fail to abide and fall apart. So folks all of you wedded guys and ladies out there better print these mantras, and affix them at all strategic places in your home. So that even if you folks unfortunately forget them they stare at you to remind you of their importance.
1. Communicate-not just about your feelings,but about your day. Discuss regular day today occurrences. Share stories with one another about what is going on at work or in a friend's life. It keeps you in tune with your spouse on a daily basis - Umm we are not too far here to begin with. Not too bad !
2. Take showers together - Honestly it has been a long time. Wonder if I must remind C of this flip flop! How stupid we were to not do things that might reinforce our marriage, and not send it the Hollywood way!
3. Go to the park and swing, slide or just play - Wonder what Ara and Radhu would say about us sliding on the board in the park. And most of all we have to find a park then a sliding board and a swing. I will be busy this week end!
4. Take walks ,morning walks are a great way to start your day.Allows Quality time together - Haven’t tried it yet. Impertinent couple we are!
5. Date nights - We are dating through the day. Wonder if that will be an overdose if we add on at night !
6. Play video games or wrestle - We shout at Radhu and Ara for their periodic obsession with video games. Now how can we explain to them us indulging ? And wrestling goodness me! Not with C in her present frame!
7. Have sex even if you don't want to - non-consensual sex, even if between spouses can be punished under the law. Well this is getting a bit too far!
8. Hold hands - We did that around the mandapam on the wedding day . And then I remember doing it in the car that night driving down from Ootty ,and I sent the car off road and into a trench some ten feet deep.. What a way to ensure a lasting wedlock!!
9. Give praise - We are matter of fact- very unfortunately!
10.Be thankful - That is fine. At last something not too bad isn’t it?
11. Have time apart- Familiarity and proximity breeds’ contempt? Well not yet mercifully ha ha!
12. Don't always nag - Well I do not agree because C cannot live without. Now what shall we do ?
13. Share advice-you never know when great, unexpected advice can come about – Good ,I guess ,because we do.
14. Pick and choose your battles,Learn that life is short and arguments are lame - Well what is life without arguments?